Monday 8 December 2014

I'm Evil...according to Hollywood


For some reason, us English are regarded as pure evil by Hollywood. If you have a received dialect then apparently you enjoy drowning kittens on weekends. This is all a little alienating considering I have a rather unfortunate accent that sounds like a Bond Villain talking dirty. The only way I could be a hero is if I was Sherlock Holmes, which actually makes sense considering I can only function in society if I’m on an adventure or on drugs.

I’ve always joked that if I carried on acting (and if I was actually any good at it) then I would have eventually ended up playing a villain in a Hollywood blockbuster. But it’s actually true. So many actors here struggle with living in such an insignificant country, clawing their way through endless Shakespeare, and finally bursting into Hollywood…only to play some cackling git in the loudest film of the summer. And then it’s back to the theatre for them as they attempt to salvage any dignity they still have.

Remember Star Trek: Into Bland Title? The sequel that copied Wrath of Khan then removed everything good about it – right down to replacing the Cuban Khan with Scar from The Lion King. Or The Avengers with Loki, the lone English hero beating off a group of self-entitled, self-justified, and over-muscled gits? Or Superman, the all-American one-man holocaust, fighting the English General Zod?

Or Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, which concerns English legend, is set in England, and concerns Englishmen…yet Robin Hood is played by Kevin Costner, and the villain is bloody Snape.

Or lets us not forget Star Wars, where the evil Nazi-like Empire are all English whilst the buff Rebel Alliance are all American. (“So, what makes you want to join our totalitarian regime?” “Well, my accent sounds like Vincent Price winning on the scratch-cards.” “When can you start?”) Although, this is much better than the prequels where the heroes were mostly upper-class white people whilst the antagonists were mostly rebel Indian stereotypes.

Heck, even Smaug from The Hobbit had to have an English accent just in case the audience had any pretence that the hulking death-machine who murdered innocents might be the good guy.

I was even playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, which was at first doing a good job keeping its heroes and villains ambiguous when WHAM! EVIL ENGLISH GUY! It’s even infecting my games!

It’s not the fact that we’re always evil that annoys me. OK, it does annoy me, but at least we own playing villains. What bothers me is that we’re never the hero.

You’re only going to see an English hero in a Bond movie. Or in a Tolkein-esque fantasy setting…because Medieval England evokes so much wonder with all its muddy hills and grey castles. Daniel Craig has proven you can have a hunky, grizzled hero who’s also distinctly English. Hollywood seems to think that England is entirely populated by skinny, slightly effeminate puppet masters – despite one of their most popular franchises proving otherwise.

“Oh, but a lot of Blockbusters concern either America or American themes.”

THEN WHY ARE THE VILLANS ENGLISH!?! If they concern America, then the villain should be American. Are the villain’s English just to make us not feel left out? Because I’m able to read stories about cultures I barely understand, and I can identify with everyone perfectly…unless they’re badly written, but that’s another topic.

“Oh, but we Americans are passionate whilst you English are more reserved.”

I wouldn’t be making this post if I wasn’t passionate. And no, I’m not passionate about my country; I’m just passionate about the fact that according to the majority of popular culture, I’m evil. You need to meet more Englishmen, hypothetical strawman I’ve just invented!

No, I’m not evil because I’m English. I’m evil because I kill anyone who uses the word ‘literally’ incorrectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment